Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Week to Remember.

IT'S WHAT THEY CALL A T'REE-PEAT!

This past week was something pretty special.

My daughter's high school team from St. Basil the Great won the OFSAA Hockey Championship in Orillia.

I have absolutely nothing to do with this team but, I felt like part of the entire event as the coach did me a huge favour and allowed me to help on the bench.

Truth be told, I would have had just as good a time watching from the stands but, this was much better.

Thanks Trevor, you made my daughter's last High School season memorable and special. For me too!

This team has achieved the honour of representing the Toronto District the past three years at the Championship and always falling a bit short.

I guess the third (t'ird - right Mac?) time is the charm as they played their hearts out and overcame tremendous odds to even make it to the semi-finals.

They had to beat two previously undefeated teams to reach the Gold medal game.

I went up on Tuesday and watched the two games they played to start off the tournament, a win and a tie, the tie after coming back from two goals down and even leading for a short portion of the game. A questionable call, according to the OFSAA rules about club logos on equipment gave the opposition a 6 on 4 where they tied the game.

Still the players were happy and the tie felt like an accomplishment.

They lost their next game and got through to the medal semi-finals by goal differential.

You can say what you like about High School hockey and most people do, but I look at it in a different way. There is at times such a difference in skill levels and playing ability that it is hard for some players to keep up. Every team has their elite players, Basil just happens to have three who play for the same organization.

There is no doubt they carry the team and get the lion's share of ice time. However, this is what I have always liked about school athletics, the willingness to try. Skill differences aside, the girls on this team were there because they wanted to represent their school. They did this with class and pride, proud to be part of the team and even more excited for the girls who do get more ice-time than them (my daughter included).

That is not the point to these young women. They are there because they love the game, their school and their teammates. It doesn't hurt that most of them have a huge crush on their coach - for that matter so do most of the mothers. I can see Trevor blushing now...

That's the difference for me. They are part of the team, based less on merit and skill than regular rep hockey but are equally deserving of sharing the Championship because they care and stepped up whenever called upon.

I am happy for the team, of course my daughter but I am also very proud of a young woman whom I have known for four or five years through my association with the Storm. The goalie on the team has never played above a house league level but, she stood on her head this week. In the Championship game when Basil's took some penalties and started to tire, she was there time and time again to make the saves.

I found myself applauding the plays and sometimes neglecting my gate duties. She was a huge reason the game went into overtime.

The Basil Barons scored less than a minute into that period. A fitting end to an incredible week.

When the goal was scored, I looked back at the coach, teacher and other door jockey (like myself) hugging each other and cheering. I felt so good for them, being just a parent and a fill in on the gate, I didn't feel right about intruding on the moment but was very content to see them celebrate. After three tries, they deserved it. No worries, I got my chance to congratulate them.

It was a special moment and an image I will remember forever.

This may be the biggest game my daughter ever plays, as school and not athletics will be her focus as she goes off to university next year. I am proud of her for sticking with it, never losing faith and being a real team player. What a way to end your high school hockey career!

As much as I was proud of the role players, which are crucial to a team, I gained a new and higher level of respect for the impact players. This meant as much to them as it did to the players who may never play another game at this level. They too are true teammates who showed a lot of patience and courage during this season and especially this week.

They may go on (this is almost a given) to play at the college or university level of hockey, so they have big games left in their lives - maybe even as big as this was to their teammates this year.

They carried themselves with class and honour, despite being fouled repeatedly, blocking shots, fighting through hostile territory and being in a pressure cooker all week. They held their heads high and their team rode the wave all the way to the Gold!

I have personally seen them mature over the last few years and consider myself lucky for my daughter to have had the privilege to play with such great players.

That goes for one and all on this team.

Congratulations St-Basil the Great - I am fortunate to have shared this with you.

No comments: