Thursday, February 19, 2009

Thursday Morning Coach.

Well, I guess I was right and the odds were too high to let us get through.

I thought we played a fairly aggressive game overall but, when it counted we seemed to freeze up. At crucial times when we needed to press the attack, we seemed to lay back and let the opposition come to us. I'm sure that they welcomed that.

It actually looked promising in the first as we attacked and threw everything we had at them, we just were not rewarded. In times past - that would have just made us hungrier - unfortunately not on this night.

In the past few weeks I have spoken to some pretty knowledgeable people in the female game and we all have the same dilemma. Asking for opinions and advice is what every coach should do and I am certainly not above gaining another's insight on motivational tactics. I have said it before and will continue to say, there are a lot of people more intelligent in aspects of this game and even more that have been successful at implementing these ideas.

We all roll our eyes and say things about the female game like: "It is different, isn't it?" or "When you figure out where the switch is, let me know will you?"

Even some of the smartest minds in the game today have had their challenges, so it is somewhat comforting and frightening at the same time that we all have shared similar experiences.

I have mentioned previously that heightened expectations can often lead to disappointment. However having said that, playing the role of coach is in my estimation - being the eternal optimist. Seeing the glass half-full, the silver lining or putting things into their proper positive perspective. It's just so frustrating at times when you can see the light at the end of the tunnel only to discover that it is an onrushing freight train and you end up getting flattened.

I don't know about you but at this time of year - with the mental scar tissue built up over the course of the season, I find myself using all the tools and experience at my disposal just to get back on my feet and prepare myself to attack the ice once again.

It seems the only thing that remains a constant throughout this time is my unfailing belief that a group of individuals striving towards the same goal can achieve some truly unbelievable things.

Be a good coach and...
  • Wipe the board clean for tonight's on-ice session.
  • Push out the negativity and find the positives.
  • Be prepared to lead and motivate them back on the same page.

Remember, you do this because you want to. Make a difference.

Take a deep breath... hold it... let it out - Repeat 74,364 times before the practice.

No comments: