Friday, August 22, 2008

Part 4: When is lunch and are we done until this afternoon?

Several girls asked me when lunch was, and 15 were thinking the same thing. They probably were rushed this morning and didn't have time for breakfast or thought they would have an opportunity to get a bite at the hotel, who knows? If nothing else (why do I keep saying that?) then at least we will be getting them to sit down for three balanced meals as a team throughout this camp.

I know for a fact a lot of young women (and men) do not eat breakfast because of one flimsy excuse or another. I know, I was the same way and basically skipped breakfast for almost twenty years and only had it with any regularity when I was on holiday.

With today's busy schedules and people working so many hours and it seems the world is going non-stop 365 days a year, it can easily become a habit to want to use those precious few minutes for rest. I am no lightweight and probably never will be (I'm trying) but when I ballooned to over 270 lbs. at my lowest point, I knew I had to make drastic changes. I was really playing with fire and when my oldest - physically fit brother was diagnosed with heart disease and underwent a quadruple bypass at age 47, I kind of figured the writing was on the wall.

Shape up or get ready to ship out in a pine box, is one way to look at it. You kind of see yourself mirrored in their faces as they are lying there helpless and weak after a horrific ordeal. I sure heard a loud bell go off in my head.

Now I just don't feel good or have any energy unless I have something in my stomach - feed the furnace. I remember reading a statement about changing ones lifestyle and it has stuck with me - if you can do something for 21 days, it is no longer a chore - it is a habit. That's kind of how I approach new things.

The players wanted to rush over to the hotel but they had to perform the cool down that will also be part of all competition and pre-competition sessions this season as part of the flexibility and recovery program. This was not a popular statement but, shoot me I'm the coach - I am used to having attitude projected outward at me. It's part of the job.

Note to Team and Parents:
The entire "Quick Start Program" and Fitness Cool Down-Recovery Programs will be posted on the training and development blog - The Training Room, so the players can just go there and follow along. That is in the near future - we are in the now - so I am dealing with 15 hungry and getting cranky hockey players.

Message to them:
Finish the routine and we can go - no one leaves until all have completed the exercises and stretches. What a surprise - ANOTHER unpopular decision. I am really batting a thousand here today. What, no - that's not a smirk on my face - I just love being here. EXCELSIOR!!!


As we cross the parking lot back to the hotel the rain has stopped and my cloudy mood is starting to clear as well. Perhaps this is a good sign – a sign of things to come.

The talk amongst the players is upbeat and happy. This is something that is very important to every coach, wanting the players to be allowed to relax and be themselves around each other. Being able to be open and comfortable leads to trust and confidence in each other – the basics of team building. That is, after all what this week is all about.

I am also pleased that my main support Marvin and Lorne are staying for lunch, so we can discuss the camp or even what is coming next. I gave them the teacher’s answer edition of this week’s events. In the booklet they have are two versions of the program elements – what the players will have and my script outlining what I will be saying and the message trying to be put across.


The lunch mood is light and the feeling is very loose between the players. The new girls or “newbies” as they have been dubbed, seem to be assimilating themselves into the mix. This is what I had hoped for.


Lunch is served and the decibel level in the restaurant seems to pick up a couple of notches. I was thinking about how quiet it was this morning at breakfast and how I live for this. I wouldn’t trade these times for anything in the world. The happy and innocent exchange between people brought together for the same reason. Different people that share a common goal and are just looking for direction and a clear path to attain this.


I guess that where I am supposed to come in. I must admit after the food is served and the girls have eaten, I am really feeling confident about this working to our advantage. This has the potential to be an experience that the players can draw upon for the entire season. Reach back in time to a less stressful environment and take comfort in.


Anything you can use to find your centre and calm the voices that are always trying to rain on our parade. These are the negative thoughts that seem to jump to the front of almost everything we do in life. It is human nature to be pessimistic and expect the worst.


The process we are entering this week along with the obvious physical aspects of conditioning, is learning to control emotions as well training ourselves to be positive and see things from a different perspective.


The elements of the classroom sessions have been well researched and used with great success in many different areas, not just specifically sport. I had a lot of help from some people whose backgrounds and training are quite impressive.


A lot of thanks will go to the NCCP program that I am a part of and just this past weekend I have just entered into my probationary teaching and presenting phase of the training. I am also very excited about that. I relied on their input on elements of this program and got some valuable insight on the messaging and tools used to present these ideas. Some of the stuff presented are also things I have learned throughout my time as a coach, they have been used with success and I tend to go back and tweak them to update the information rather than to try and reinvent the wheel every season.


I wonder if any of the players have a clue as to what I think about? I know my daughter is always suspect when I say I am going to try something new, she has come to trust me though and knows that it is always meant in the best interests of the team. Many may say it, I think those around me that have come to know me, know there are no hidden agendas or much motivation beyond the fact that I want the team to succeed. This is not self-serving – I want this for them, to carry with them throughout their lives.


Cristina looks across her table at me – I must be staring off into space – she asked me what I am thinking about? Should I tell her? Nah, it will just seem weird and compulsive.


A few of the players turn to see if I am going to tell them what’s going on. I decide to let well enough alone and say, “Ladies, you’ve got a half an hour to relax and then we meet back at the soccer pitch for the warm-up and conditioning before this afternoon’s skate.”


Groans all around. They don’t mean it, I think it is just expected that they will complain. It’s a good group here, they will take the best from this camp and use it to their advantage.


To answer the question posed in the subject of part 4 – Are we done yet? Not by a long shot. We have not yet begun to howl at the moon.

Part 5: All This in One Day? To follow.

No comments: