Friday, August 22, 2008

Part 3: The On-Ice Experience - The Basics of Progression Revealed

I am in a position I am not really used to after years of playing "firefighter" and helping teams out of jams, or stepping up when the team is in panic mode.

I have only five new players this season which leaves me with nine returning who know what I am about and what I expect. therefore the learning curve may not be as steep as in years past. It is a sense of calm and confidence that I approach the development phases this season. I have basically revamped my entire presentation and the way information is going to be handed out to the players, each step will be gone over as thoroughly as possible so that there are fewer gaps in our strategy.


In years past I have given out a comprehensive team development binder, designed around the methodology of training and growth as a team. I noticed last year that there were a lot of blank stares and a few were just overwhelmed. I just had to put myself in the players skates for a second and realized that it is plain human nature when faced with a lot of information (overload) one tends to get nothing from it. That's why i have spent the off-season re-writing and reformatting most of the contents of the manual.


The biggest noticeable difference is, the information will be given out and added to the supplied binder when we have had a chance to cover it comprehensively. There is a process we will be following this season - and although an experiment of sorts for this group, it is based on methods I have learned and been shown by members of the NCCP (National Coaching Certification Program) and other valuable input from many knowledgeable people I have met and spoken with. The result will be a far more focused and polished manual for the players to consult when things don't make sense of they are overwhelmed. This is a paradigm shift from not even opening the book because the binder itself is the overwhelming part.


Playing the game as is coaching the players that play the game is a journey based on personal, physical and social growth that can never be taken for granted. The lessons learned each year are valuable no matter how hard they are. If you look upon the season as an opportunity to try and experiment with different ideas and strategies, while still basing all teaching around the sound basic fundamental model, it should be a season of change as well as a year of growth and goals achieved.


Now, I'll just step down off this soap-box and put my skates on... it's time to do something that I am truly good at and that is the on-ice stuff. I think even the returning players will be pleasantly surprised as they have never been in a "hockey camp" situation with me before. Time to make this ice sing!


I walk out of the room and notice Smitty standing there, ready to go on "HEY COACH!" I swear this girl stands her equipment in the corner of the room - runs and dives right into it. That's how fast she gets ready. I give her the "look" meaning that no one steps on the ice without a coach. This is probably a bit of overkill on my part, I mean this is not a Novice team but, still the first day of camp the last thing (and I do mean the LAST thing) I want to do is to make a phone call to one of the players parents telling them there has been an accident.

I have to admit, I too am feeling the excitement of stepping on the ice for the first time since we had our little mini-skate back in May.


I rush to get my outfit on when I realized what was nagging at me - practically screaming at me... I have no top to wear under my jacket. Now, to most this may not seem like a big deal, just wear the shirt you have on. That may be OK for those who do not sweat, sorry perspire but BABY, I SWEAT! it's a fortunate thing that the top I have on is one of those performance t-shirts that is supposed to breathe and let the sweat evaporate. I'll be the judge of that... talk about your acid test. To hell with it, I want to get on the friggin' ice!


I make a mental note to not tell anyone about my fashion faux pas. This team - as much as they love to play the game, it really is all about the fashion. The first session is only an hour so, I should be able to squeak through with not being completely soaked.

Overall as we move through the practice, we certainly show signs of rust but not as bad as I thought and I am marginally pleased with the effort. It is explained at this time that this is a conditioning camp so we will be skating hard laps in between drills. This seems to get them into the session that much more.


My goal this season is to be ready for tournaments, this means having a team that is in shape. We do quite well in tournaments when we only have one game in a day, if we have to play a second - our record is not as good. We will work towards doubling up sessions whenever possible this year with the off-ice coming before practices. This will certainly be true until October with as many system and tactics meetings as it takes until we can execute the game plan.

I do a quick calculation in my head and realize it is less than six seeks to the scheduling meeting, not a whole lot of time by any stretch but, time enough when there are only five new faces. We should be able to pick up where we left off and advance the development by at least a third. The mandate for the returning players is to help the "newbies" through the sessions and fill in the blanks when they have questions and I am otherwise occupied or not there.

I can already see this pattern taking place, it will have to be encouraged and fostered so no one gets left behind or is overwhelmed.

I look over at Lorne and realize the hour is almost up and we only progressed through two drills. Importantly, they were both drills that involve the defense stepping up and being more active in the attack - this will also be a priority this season. I'll have to pick up the pace for this afternoon. I blow the whistle and let the girls scrimmage for ten minutes to work out some of the kinks.


The new girls have been initiated into the world of drill progression and seem to have understood the basics. I have to remember not to throw everything at them at once - they still haven't had to sit in a room while I talk after a full day of training. This will prove to be interesting to say the least.

I exit the ice surface - tired and a little nervous about the rest of the day but somewhat pleased at the energy level.

Part 4. When is lunch and are we done until the on-ice this afternoon? To Follow.

No comments: