Friday, August 22, 2008

Part 1: The Camp - Training or Team Building?

When this idea first struck me, I was passing a construction site and had a little thought in my head. I know what you are thinking - any thoughts even little ones are above your capacity. I am a coach after all.

Anyway back to the original idea of the training camp on the site of the Nottawasaga Inn in Alliston. They have done a great job of building not one but two NHL sized rinks just on the West side of the property. It just seemed to be a no-brainer and a perfect fit - if they kept their ice in all summer.

They did, we booked and partnered with the Nottawsaga Inn staff to create what we hoped would be a very successful camp for the team. Many thanks to all involved in the planning and execution.

The proximity to the city, meant a fairly easy commute and drop off for everyone, so things just kind of fell into place. The planning stage started in February and April - finalized in July - camp held from August 13-17, 2008.

TUESDAY August 12, 2008

With a nagging feeling I was forgetting something, we packed the van and left for the Inn in Alliston. All the way driving there I couldn't shake it. We had to make a stop to drop off some frozen food and other items for the get together on Saturday night.

We were told the destination was a farm, so it's no wonder we passed it twice. More on this later.

We eventually made it to the Inn and checked in. Now for a good night's sleep to be ready and refreshed for the arrival of the team. Restful night? Does anyone sleep well in a hotel bed the first night?

WEDNESDAY August 13, 2008 - 6:30 AM - 10:30 am - Part 1

If have
mastered one skill above all others in my time as a coach, I have become accustomed to walking around early in the morning with my eyes closed. This is no exception.

Should I let my family sleep, or start singing some insane off-key song at the top of my lungs? The Cowboy Song from Family Guy would be an ideal choice - this would also let the Inn know what they are potentially in for this week.

I thought better of it and just stumbled around the bed to the washroom. Feeling quite proud and also elated that I didn't stub any toe or loosely hanging appendage - I seemed to gain energy and momentum.

I even avoided the cut on my cheek, made the previous day when I noticed a new hair that I'd never seen before, suffice it to say - some areas are not meant to be shaved - especially in that direction. Nothing like a toilet paper coagulent to start the week off right.

That didn't happen - no blood was spilled this morning.

I guess I wasn't as stealthy as I thought because when I got out of the bathroom, my family was up watching TV. I guess they were as pumped as I was. I had the butterflies in my stomach as the actual launch of the camp was less than three hours away. I wasn't nervous about the camp, or even the players so much as the high-wire act I was undertaking of keeping 15 teenagers in check and occupied for four nights.

Did I do enough? Was there enough material to keep everyone busy and most of all happy? This team will either look back on this venture as a complete success and a great start to our season, or it could become a complete failure and the girls would be at each other's throats all week. The potential for carnage was definitely there, or was I worrying for nothing?

If there is one thing I have learned (it seems I have learned quite a bit... one thing at a time) that when it comes to young women in this sport - expect the unexpected. Had I prepared for this - was I ready for any sharp curves or chicanes (chicanery more like it...) that I hadn't bargained for? Taking another drink of water to quench my thirst and soothe my parched throat I thought to myself - nervous, me? No, just cautious and aware.

Breakfast was a quiet affair and I remember noting that the serene and peaceful world of the wait and service staff was all going to come to an end - a screeching halt if you will. It was quiet... too quiet.

The Arrival - The Calm Before The Storm (get it?)

We met the girls as they filtered into the hotel. I was noticing some strange looks from parents, I couldn't quite put my finger on it but, I came to the conclusion later that it was mixture of disbelief and relief.
Disbelief that I would take this on and relief that they were going to passing their "little darlings" off to someone else for a week.
Nonetheless, the girls came in and it was if we were picking up where we left off at the signing party. Absence really does make the heart grow fonder.

I felt a little like Noah and the players were entering the Ark for our voyage, only they didn't come in two by two - well some did but, you get my point. As several parents asked me if I was ready (insane) for this week and I nodded absently that I was. No doubt they were looking for signs of dementia, I guess none were readily apparent, they passed their kids off to "the Coach".

The hotel staff obviously had some issues with hockey teams staying at the hotel judging by the sideways glances at the hockey bags strewn across the hotel lobby floor. I also was aware of the looks of trepidation and worry. Oh well, not my problem right now. I had my hands pretty well full.
I am not overwhelmed as the team staff was present to help smooth things over and give us a hand.
Did it get noisier in here? It must be my imagination. I hope not a lot of older people and empty nesters had booked on our floor this week looking forward to a quiet and relaxing week. Was that a chill up my spine I just felt?
As was planned, not a lot of time was spent sitting around or waiting for something to happen. There was an agenda and rules and hotel regulations to cover. As well the week's work also had be handed out.

I wish I had a camera on their faces when I told them that there was going to be assignments to go along with the off-ice and conditioning on-ice work. Summer really takes it's toll on some minds, especially the young. They looked at me, "Homework?"

Surprise No.1 - Now that the bomb was dropped and a quick overview was given, it was time to head to the rink to shake the rust off and introduce the new training program. Wouldn't you know it - the very second we started to walk over to the rink, it started raining. A camp counsellor's worst nightmare is a rainy week. So much of the activity was centered around the resort and the outdoor facilities that I didn't even want to think about what might happen.

The saving grace of this walk was the fact that I wouldn't have to hear the complaining... my back - my knees... for the rest of the week as the equipment was going to be stored in a locked room at the rink.

This makes for a much more pleasant sleeping situation without the wonderful aroma of hockey sweat.

Someone mentioned to me one time that it must be nice to walk into a female dressing room after coaching boys for so long.

I laughed and said they didn't know what they were talking about. The smell is part of our folklore and some wear it as a badge of honour. Hence the "oh my god, smell this!" comments that fly around from time to time. The same comment was commonplace around boy's rooms as well but, they rarely had anything to do with hockey equipment.

There seems to be an unadvertised contest in women's hockey for the absolute smelliest glove or article of protective gear. I must enter a couple of my players in this. It brings tears to my eyes, and they are NOT tears of joy.

Now to take them out of their comfort zone and to shake them back into reality... No one knows what to expect and I'm not giving any clues right now.

Part 2 - The Plan Revealed (Partially) to follow.

No comments: