Saturday, January 10, 2015

2014 Beantown Classic 2

Now the big question is how we will bounce back from something like that.

We are trying to get a handle on the players and how they think. It is a challenge to be sure but an open and I think honest approach is best. This is summer hockey, nowhere near life or death. I will not yell, raise my voice beyond what is necessary and certainly not bench anyone.

How can I? I barely have a full roster. The baseline of my thinking is how we are very solid in goal, so let's formulate the plan from there out.

it was a mistake to run two centers, I should have adjusted at the half, my mistake. We will have to adjust the line up to roll three forward lines and two sets of D. I know one player that will do it without question, A real gamer and will do whatever I ask. She has been a pleasant surprise and a very valuable player on the ice, in the room and on my team. Now to find the other. 

As usual, I will go with what I know. A player, that played with me in Toronto. I know she does not like it but, will do what I ask of her.

As Bugs and Daffy used to say "On with the show, this is it!"

We are playing a team from Toronto and coached by colleagues of mine. I think they are young. They are fast and aggressive, which I expected. This is a well matched game.

We score first and second, with a two goal lead we kind of sit back and a large part of our attack seems to disappear. We will have to find a way in the second half to ramp it up.

As any coach will tell you. If you want to raise the tempo of your bench and game, shorten the shifts. It seems to work and we go up 3-1.

We allow the opposition to outwork us below our goal line, which seems to be the hardest message to get across. "Skates pointed up-ice", and they score to make it 3-2 with quite a bit of time left in the game.

Our goalies once again have been way above average and the team gains strength from that. We ice the game with a fourth goal and I couldn't be happier.

Fitting result 4-2. Back in the chase for now.

No comments: