Thursday, April 28, 2011

If it is Thursday, It Must Be Helsinki

Brothers... and sisters,

This has been a whirlwind few days and I am bit behind in my notes but let me try and encapsulate what has gone on in the last few days.

Rejkyavik - Iceland:

The weather never ceased to amaze us. One minute cold and rainy, the next hail or sleet or snow... sometimes the sun poked out.

Like at the Blue Lagoon, a geothermal bathing pool nestled in between the rocks and volcanoes of Iceland. This place was like nothing I have ever seen in my entire life!

A huge, modern facility which I am sure my words cannot describe how spectacular it truly was... did I mention the weather?

I think everyone went into this pool. The water was a milky blue shade and when you first waded in, it seemed like an overgrown hot tub. The only difference was, there is a swim up bar!

After ordering our first drink, we drifted out to a spot that the heat came through in waves. It was almost unbearable how hot it was, except that off an on it was actually snowing on us but we couldn't have been happier.

A group of Canadian and American hockey people whooping it up because it was snowing while we were up to our necks in some of the most beautiful heat I have ever felt... with a cold beer in my hand to top it off - this truly is the Canadian dream!


Even though the pics are spectacular, they really don't do the location justice. So glad I experienced it, absolutely boiling from the neck down and reaching up to wipe the icicles from your hair. A once (twice?) in a lifetime experience...

Waking up the next morning, we had another tour of the surrounding area... spectacular landscape and sights but, sorry - quite a step down from the lagoon.

We'll have to have a couple of more coach/parent meetings to overcome the disappointment...

No comments: