Friday, March 13, 2009

What gets left behind?

















The season is officially over. For that matter I am three games away from ending an association that had been ten years in the making. How do I feel about that? How would anybody feel?

If nothing else, I am human and it has been at the back of my mind for weeks. It has been more and more difficult to keep it from clouding decisions and the way I act.

I have had many experiences, some good and some less so, they are indelibly etched in my memory. If nothing else, I take with me the fact that I did what I could. For some it was enough, for others it fell short. I have no problem looking at my face in the mirror as I did what was possible and sometimes we touched the stars. Above all else I realize that no one is perfect.

The people I have met, the games we have played, the lifelong acquaintances I have made will stay with me the rest of my days. This sport teaches us so much, most importantly it shows us undeniably that we are all the same. Flesh, blood and bone. We can all be wounded, suffer cuts, bleed and break down.

We can laugh, cry, scream and lose control at times. Other times we show that we are simply fallible at best and we all make mistakes.

I have learned that as time passes forgiveness is easier and as the memories of transgressions pale with age, we often forget why were angry at all.

I have time and again, seen the best of people, while having to deal with the worst the sport has to offer. I can honestly say that I am in no way putting myself above anybody else. I was taught that we are all created equal and no one person
or player is more important than the sum of the parts. I guess it's the way things add up that make the difference between success and failure.

HARD COLD FACT:
In the eyes of many it is always the coach that will shoulder the blame. We are taught to expect it and it is warranted. We take on these roles knowing full well that if the talent doesn't reach expectations, we must find a way to get the players to that level or be exposed to criticism. Every coach at one time or another has been faced with this challenge and made feel like they failed. A lot of coaches I know have beaten themselves up over missed opportunities, even though their immediate team family has never questioned their dedication.

I am not whining about coaching because it is in our blood. We take the arrows and keep coming back for more. It's what we love to do and most of us do it for the right reasons. Sometimes those that give, get rewarded for all their efforts and dedication.

I am lucky enough to be in that group.

I am not only referring to my destination for next season, I am referring to the feeling I have for the players I have coached. I am proud to have grown close to so many great people through this game. I am filled with a sense of pride in the fact that I have had the opportunity to touch so many lives and hopefully make a difference.

More than that, I am forever indebted to anyone who has ever
been trained, been on the ice or who has played for me. I have learned more from each of them than I could have ever taught. I take the experience I have gained from these people and mold it into my philosophies and refresh my approach to development.

This is an ongoing process and I am constantly learning and being shown different ways of dealing with people, whether the individual or the group dynamic. No two players or teams are alike - that is what has made this part of my journey so fascinating.

I can only imagine what lies ahead for me and the new challenges I will face. I am excited by this prospect and lure of the unknown and unfamiliar.

Lastly, I want to thank the past and especially present players and families of the North York Storm. Without their friendship, support and generosity, I could never have reached this stage. It is as much a triumph for them as it is for me.

I humbly say, I am the person I am and will become - because of you.

No comments: